Context and Introduction
We spent the first lessons of this unit of work watching One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest. We watched it trying to judge the ‘sane’ from the ‘insane’. Importantly we could see there were some who were clearly insane from beginning to end but there were lots of the characters (including Randall, Billy and Nurse Ratchett) for whom the line between ‘sane’ and ‘insane’ was a bit more blurred.
Teachers or students who want the original PPT please tweet @psychopepper
- To KNOW and UNDERSTAND what the four definitions of abnormality are.
- To ANALYSE films and examples to discuss the difficulty in deciding who is ‘normal and who is ‘abnormal’
- To APPLY knowledge of the four definitions to past exam questions.
- To EVALUATE the four definitions in terms of their strengths and limitations in discriminating normal from abnormal.
- Lesson 1-3 Watch Film.
- To discuss the problem faced by psychologists with drawing the line between the sane and the insane.
- Watch a video clip (below)
- To take notes in booklet, on which of the case studies presented (Page 3) show abnormal behaviour, justify why you think that.